The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
CianMcLiam wrote:
Not at all, it's usually self interests and self delusions that cause 'disagreements'.

Actually, it's quite often misunderstandings, an unwillingness to try and see something from another person's point of view, and an egotistical inability to accept that we might be wrong.

CianMcLiam wrote:
Your starting to sound like Bill O'Reilly & co. on Fox News, when someone states a verifiable fact they retort 'well that's your opinion' before moving on to something else.

Well hey! Better than sounding like Tony Blair! "I know what's right, and you'll agree or get out of the way".

CianMcLiam wrote:
There's property you own, property you dont and property you share, you modify your behaviour accordingly.

I'm reluctant to get sucked into an abstract philosophical debate, but the notion of property is an entirely artificial human construct. If you want to talk about objective ethics and rights, "property" is not a very good starting point.

CianMcLiam wrote:
It seems people want to treat ancient sites like their own personal property, it just is not. It's shared and should be respected in this way, no personal stamps of ownership or tokens of your visit unless there's a very good reason.

If that's the case, then I assume you have evidence for the collective majority sharing your objections to the leaving of offerings? I'm sure you wouldn't be arguing that ancient sites belong to us all, then arguing that a small clique of archaeologically-minded people have the right to dictate how they should be used? You can't preach democracy with the one hand, then dictatorship with the other.

CianMcLiam wrote:
I haven't heard a good reason yet why others should leave visual/material pollution that was not there before they arrived.

You haven't heard a reason that you consider to be good. But then given the prevailing consensus at TMA, you're hardly going to find people of that inclination posting here and arguing their case, are you?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
27th June 2007ce
10:33

In reply to:

Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use? (CianMcLiam)

Messages in this topic: