The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
"I don't think that a statement of ownership is inherent in such actions - simply inferred."

I disagree profoundly.

I'm puzzled by how you can reach that position. If I... in innocence and ignorance... leave an offering at an ancient site (highly unlikely, I hasten to add!), simply as a means of expressing how I feel spiritually about the place.... there is no statement of ownership, other than that which is inferred by others.

You might equally argue that an assertion that one knows what's best for a site contains an implicit statement of ownership. You're defining what you consider to be acceptable forms of interaction with that site, and hoping to impose them upon others. Now you may very well have the best interests of the site at heart, and your ideas of how it should be treated may very well bear merit... but it's still very possible to infer a statement of ownership from such a position. From an impartial standpoint, the latter point of view would actually appear far more territorial than leaving a few flowers in a stone circle.

nigelswift wrote:
To impose your own physical statement on a place and then leave - a place that cannot be seen as other than "everyone's" - just can't be interpreted as fair to others.

Even your presence imposes a physical statement upon a place. Allowing your children to run around imposes a physical statement upon a place. Holding a picnic at a site imposes a physical statement on a place... all reasonable actions, but far more likely to impose upon the tranquil enjoyment of others than the leaving of a few offerings.

nigelswift wrote:
I'm not saying a bit of give and take isn't the obvious solution but I do think it should be seen as that not seen as a compromise between two equally valid views.

And I'm not saying that I disagree with you regarding "best practices" at ancient sites. I'm suggesting that it's always advantageous to try and understand alternate ways of looking at a situation. If truths were objective and self-evident, we'd always agree on everything!

This all reminds me of the metal detecting debate. "We'll do what we want, and not think about the impact on others". "If its a communal resource, its mine".

You can tell me I have no right to impose "my" contrary view, to which I would answer "let them show how I'm wrong"....

If a person plays loud music or shouts while there

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
27th June 2007ce
10:07

In reply to:

Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use? (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: