The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
Mustard wrote:

Not quite in the same league as leaving a corn-dolly at a stone circle, is it? A better analogy might be that some people feel it's OK to restore stone circles while others don't.....

No, it's not in the same league of course but it shows that even in high cost situations we're often willing to ignore consequences of actions in situations where everyone loses, even if both sides feel something 'should' be done it doesn't make either position right, and having a position doesn't make action valid in itself. Maybe we should start applying that to things we have influence over and it may lay the foundations for some semblence of principle seeping upwards.

Mustard wrote:

I agree with that entirely. But that doesn't mean that debate should be stifled.

All for debate, doesn't leave any trace except a few ticks off my monthly upload/download quota!

Mustard wrote:

I agree with that to a point, although I do feel that there's a wider debate surrounding the notion of preservation. However, I would certainly agree that there's no justification for leaving anything at a site if it compromises its archaeological integrity. I'm not convinced that the odd flower or two really does that.

The problem is, as other have said, when one person leaves flowers others arrive and think that's the done thing and the way to show respect, proceeding to leave candles, coins, batteries, clip-on covers for mobile phones, ribbons in poxy colours, animal skulls, burnt wood and earth etc. etc. Anyone that's been to more than two or three Irish sites will have come across most if not all of the above. I know I have, and you end up with beautiful, delicate sites like Lissyviggeen
being closed to even the conscientious visitor. That's a really sad loss all for the price of a few tacky ribbons, broken bottles and a never ending assortment of tat.

Last time I visited Grange stone circle there was a pile of coins and tat placed on the stones, while I was there a group of tourists arrived and one started saying 'Isn't that charming.. Frank, do you have any quaters on you??'

Reply | with quote
CianMcLiam
Posted by CianMcLiam
26th June 2007ce
21:48

Messages in this topic: