The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
CianMcLiam wrote:
...imply that people of a certain persuasion today have more of a claim to the site than anyone else when such a continuity simply does not exist.

Wise Words. But the Neolithics were very messy weren't they? I don't think our notions of cleanliness being next to godliness really applied to them. And look at some of their offerings - a kid with an axe through its head, lots and lots of dead animals etc.

What's much more interesting than litter is that feeling of the need to do / make / leave something. I know that feeling. If you aren't conventionally religous there aren't many ways to do that now. Still, it's probably best to take it with you - I mean otherwise it's just some narcisistic idea that the the place is 'yours'.

That of course is impossible at Avebury and Silbury these days - With all these cameras and stuff about, I'd be absolutley terrified of dropping something - in case it got reported here!

Reply | with quote
tuesday
Posted by tuesday
26th June 2007ce
19:51

In reply to:

Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use? (CianMcLiam)

Messages in this topic: