The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
Mustard wrote:
What's the harm with biodegradable offerings though? I can see the objection to plastics or anything that might linger and disturb future archaeology, but if it's just a corn doll or something......

Something that has pissed me off for a long time is leaving memorials on remote hill tops , places like the top of Ben Nevis are covered in people wishing to show their grioef in some material form , there are appropriate places for these sort of demonstrations , graveyards and Buck House . I recently came across a memorial cairn on the top of an Argyllshire hill fort ,worse it was built on top of rock art . It seems to be getting worse post Di , But today I came across a wooden sculpture near Dunkeld providing a seat too and a place for brass plaques , this I thought totally appropriate and not a selfish maybe pagans could find some sort of similar construct .Perhaps if they became more aware of the little we do know of thes sites they believe were "for " burials they might go elsewhere . A church has burials but there is a lot more to it than that most of it relatively positive but maybe a few cleft skulls and possible sacrifices should be highlighted never mind the weirdo "lets swap the jaws of that one with this one and take away the feet " that happened at their fave sites .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
26th June 2007ce
17:11

Messages in this topic: