The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
Wow, some varied opinions here!
i have read your messages and comments closely and i have thought about the very intelligent points that have been made. i have learnt loads from them, and am glad to find that people with different beliefs have been included in the attemp to protect the sites.

I hope that no-one got the wrong idea, I am not saying that theses sites should not be protected and kept in good condition. i am all in favour for this as i hope that they will be there for many more generations to enjoy and to feel a conection with the past.
As to keeping sites tidy for visitors this is also fair enough. i wouldnt want to visit if they were messy as this would destroy the atmosphere.

As to My point as to "What they were used for" that was meant in a more symbolic way.
As far as Archeaological survey and excavation can conclude many sites were not defensive, settlement nor agricultural. All through history there has been a respect for the dead and in many of the sites in question have relationship to burial, this helps to explain the belief systems of the past.
The sites not directly related to Death and Burial are harder to interpret, but evidence shows that they were used in other ways.
The relevence of this is that these places are still used in a respectful way in the practice of a belief system.

thanks for you're views, they are very helpful to me in the development of my understanding a more personal view on Archeaeology!
Cheers
Mirla!

Reply | with quote
Mirla
Posted by Mirla
26th June 2007ce
11:26

1 reply:

Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use? (doktoratomik)

Messages in this topic: