The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Carn Brea Forum Start a topic | Search
Carn Brea
Re: Borlase
37 messages
Select a forum:
It does indeed, but I have quite a few photos taken at roughly the same time and from many different directions and these show the ground rising up from a short distance within the wall towards the top of wall on the inner side, so the ground on which the circle stands would be a foot or so lower than the top of the wall. Granted, the photo reproduced in Hencken does seem to show the grass at the level of the top of the wall nearest the photographer, but this is due to the viewing angle and even on the printed version in Hencken the grass can be seen to rise on the opposite side of the circle where it reaches the wall. It is much clearer in the original. I can't email this image (or any of the others) to anyone, but have previously paid the RIC, who own the originals, to use two of these Boscawen Un photos on my website, but I need to check the copyright before doing this. If I can, I'll include the original of the Hencken photo, though I think that this one is by Gibson and so it might not be possible (he lived a very long time). There are also late 19th century photos by Preston which are very similar, and I'm fairly certain that the copyright on these has expired, so it's more likely that I'll use these.

Reply | with quote
Chris Bond
Posted by Chris Bond
18th April 2007ce
23:00

In reply to:

Re: Borlase (FourWinds)

1 reply:

Re: Borlase (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: