The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Books of possible interest
461 messages
Select a forum:
Two novels with only a small link to anything megalithic but I like them very much so thought I'd mention them in case anyone else might be interested.

The Testament of Gideon Mack by James Robertson - I've read a few of his books now and like them a lot. Gideon Mack is my favourite though. The testament of a faithless minister, centring on his disappearance and reappearance 3 days later. The book starts off with his encounter with a standing stone that has suddenly appeared in the nearby wood. The book makes reference to Robert Kirk and his book 'The Secret Commonwealth of Elves, Fauns and Fairies'. Stones, folklore and meetings with the devil, I can't recommend this enough.

Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner - I was a bit nervous about reading this one, as the legends of Thomas the Rhymer are favourites of mine. It's not the most in depth story and the book doesn't really go anywhere but for me, it's hard to imagine a better novel about Thomas. If you have any interest in the folklore surrounding Thomas the Rhymer, the Eildon Hills near Melrose and his meeting with the Queen of Elfland at the Eildon tree, this book is well worth looking for.

Reply | with quote
thelonious
Posted by thelonious
6th April 2013ce
08:56

In reply to:

Books of possible interest (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: