The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Mike Parker - "Map Addict"
461 messages
Select a forum:
Not strictly TMA-ish, but a friend at work lent me this recently and I loved it. For TMAers who like a nice map (Jane, TheEternal, Scubi) this is a book I would recommend enormously. It's basically about obsession, but also throws in some fascinating map-related stuff. And has made me re-evaluate my opinion of the Landranger series (as I'm an Explorer kid, me).

As an aside, it namechecks The Modern Antiquarian and Julian, and has a very funny chapter that revolves partly around the alignment of Midsummer Boulevard in Milton Keynes with the midsummer sunrise ( I think something similar was mentioned on here recently in connection with Marlborough?). I also never knew that Milton Keynes has an open-air tree cathedral, built to the same scale and plan as the floor plan of Norwich cathedral. How good is that? In Milton Keynes!

"if you can sit and read a good map like others read Heat or Hello!, then this book is for you"

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
26th January 2012ce
21:19

In reply to:

Books of possible interest (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: