The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Books of Possible Interest.
461 messages
Select a forum:
Wow, your threads are pretty epic over here. Sorry if the following have already been mentioned. I picked all three up at the same time from the local Oxfam bookshop and they have exhumed a buried interest in this type of thing.

On Deep History and the Brain - Daniel Lord Smail. An important book I think. "What passes for progress in human civilisation,’ he writes, ‘is often nothing more than new developments in the art of changing body chemistry." He argues that culture changes that body chemistry! So religion, monumental architecture, sport and alcohol, amongst others, actually had a physical impact on us as a species.

The stones, so beloved here, changed us.

After the Ice: A Global Human History 20,000-5000 BC - Steven Mithen. A survey of known sites. Odd. Fictionalises the narrative voice for some reason. I found it enjoyable.

Conceiving God: The Cognitive Origin and Evolution of Religion - David Lewis-Williams. Still working through this. Fascinating. Still waiting for it all to click into place.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Robot Emperor
19th October 2011ce
19:28

Messages in this topic: