The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Books of possible interest - druids
461 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
Ronald Hutton's latest book, The Druids, "...is the first comprehensive study of what people have thought about the ancient Druids and why. Written in a racy and accessible style,

Ronald Hutton... racy and accessible??? Are you sure??

Must have been sick of the dry and hard going label.

His books are always well researched though, good source books.

moss wrote:
He's a very good writer, saw him at a lecture last year pulling apart the goddess theory; a gentle man is how I would describe him fascinated by his subject. Had some problem with giving the lecture, getting over a brain tumour I think he said, but he said he could'nt hear very well because of it. Which is completely off the subject but Stuart Piggott also wrote a good book entitled "the Druids" 1968 I think which gets back to the subject...

I like Piggott's book, also T D Kendrick's book, no nonsense scholarly works.

coldrumhead wrote:
I'll look out for this.I am currently reading ''Druids:preachers of immortality'' by Anne Ross.

I really like Anne Ross, she's been featuring on the TV program Pagans and Na Ceiltich recently. The book people like least of hers is one I really like, just because she isn't afraid the theorise "Life and Death of a Druid Prince".

Littlestone wrote:
Scarre also reveals new theories concerning Stonehenge, where the surface shaping of some of the stones may have replicated the bark of oak and beech.

Now that really would be of interest to Druids... justifying why people that base their religion on those that orginally worshipped in groves of trees are so obsessed with worshipping in circles of stone....

Authors on Druids I love to hate ... Douglas Munroe.... yeauch

Reply | with quote
Posted by Branwen
14th September 2009ce
23:54

In reply to:

Books of possible interest (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: