The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: So , how was it?
25 messages
Select a forum:
I have to admit, we left after Dr Burl's highly amusing talk. It was an OK day, I think Dom and I (and around 5 other people) were the only ones under 65!! We sat up in the gallery, where the sound wasn't great and it was such a beautiful day that we decided to go out and look at sites rather than sit in a church talking about them.

However, Aubrey Burl was worth the entrance fee alone. He is a lot older than I remember - I have him on a documentary talking about RSCs in Aberdeenshire but that must've been made some time ago. He was warm, funny and knowledgable and extremely humble. His talk ("Cumbrian Circles - are they really?") was about how some of the great Cumbrian sites have more in common with sites in Ireland, S England and Brittany. The whole thing was, for me, spoiled by some daft old geraitric standing up at the end and asking whether Dr Burl had considered a large megalith close by which celebrated 2000 years of Christianity - after that it all went a bit quiet and no-one else asked any questions, which I found really uncomfortable. Aubrey Burl was left standing at his podium looking a little embarrassed by the whole thing and we took that opportunity to slip out the back door!

We then went on to visit Low Moor, having been informed by the first speaker (John Hodgson) that there weren't any Long Barrows in Cumbria ( I think I may agree with him!) and then on to Gunnerkeld for a bit of stone hugging! So, all in all a fab day and I am really pleased I got see (if not actually meet) DR Burl in the flesh.

Reply | with quote
Vicster
Posted by Vicster
1st May 2007ce
10:39

In reply to:

So , how was it? (Creyr)

1 reply:

Re: So , how was it? (wolfnighthunter)

Messages in this topic: