The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Bryn Euryn Forum Start a topic | Search
Bryn Euryn
the bear's hill
4 messages
Select a forum:
This is the hill behind my mums house, I don't go up it enough, and it has some nice little walks around it.
It is just above LLandrillo yn Rhos, and has a great vantage point, you can see right across to the beautiful snowdonian mountains and beyond to Angelsey and behind you Liverpool bay, it's worth the steep walk up, It's a great place to have a hill fort!
Dinerth road, just beneath it, is said to take it's name from the chieftan of the hill, the bear. Across the valley (the nant sempter - now the a55!) the romans were attacked on their way to fight the druids of Angelsey, their leader Sepronius (sorry for spelling I'm guessing) was killed. It was also used as a rabbit warren in the medieval times. In the second world war a radio mast was placed on it, fitting really as it was for hundreds of years used as a vantage point as was again. Also check out the ruins of the Hall beneath it, just near a small car park, the historic connections are very interesting.

Reply | with quote
skins
Posted by skins
15th March 2007ce
17:15

1 reply:

Re: the bear's hill (postman)

Messages in this topic: