The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Romans pay homage to Silbury?
41 messages
Select a forum:
slumpystones wrote:
I am constantly stunned by the ineptness of our more recent archaeologists - this is supposed to be an important site culturally, and yet the most obvious [let's face it, the Romans were messy bastards] remains of all have not been noticed. It says so much for the last 100 years that everything is being redone to get the right answers.

As I am not an archaeo I am content with the image that archaeology insists it can give and account and the the score of a football match from the remains of a hot dog found below the stand.

They just can't help themselves - the 'news' of the Romano settlement was told to us histo plebs ages ago and as it was kept back one thought they cleverly awaited announcement of the dig and an opening 'do' to focus media attention and the public imagination and keep this news for a gap of nothing happenning during the repairs to reveal it (in order to avoid the 'nothing happenning - no treasure' probs of the 1968-70 'televised live dig'). Instead they blurt it, losing an opportunity in the process and before a spade hits chalk hazardly invites rubber necking on the bath Road where at 50 plus mph people can further endanger themselves and others by trying to glimpse both sides of the road at once and sudennly decide to find a parking space. It makes you mad enbough not to bother speelchooking...

EH works in mysterious ways small wonders to perform...

VBB

Reply | with quote
Posted by VenerableBottyBurp
10th March 2007ce
11:03

In reply to:

Re: Romans pay homage to Silbury? (slumpystones)

Messages in this topic: