The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Aberdeenshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Aberdeenshire
Re: Any similarity to the Baildon Moor stone1?
11 messages
Select a forum:
jumble jim wrote:
Hi, this is my first posting. I'm doing some research on possible Neolithic incised stones in and around my property. I have a stone which is very similar to stone 1 from Baildon Moor (how do I attach an image?). I would appreciate any (constructive) comments and opinions. This and other stones here have drawn some interest from the archaeological fraternity but a consensus of opinion seems to be impossible to achieve (what's new?).

Hello Jim , I havn't seen this one and it does looks a bit different from the others around your house , which , as mentioned previously I believe to be possibly carved by man but not in the "cup and ring" marked traditon . This new one however does look like it may fit into latter group but i'm not convinced I'll have to come up and have a look as it wouldn't be fair to judge it on the pic alone . It does appear to marked on more than one surface which is not unknown but not too common either .One other point about cups marked in granite is that they are often quite deep asif to make up for the difficulty of doing anything more inticrate . I'll get in touch with James and drop by again if that's ok .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
11th March 2007ce
10:29

Messages in this topic: