The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Aberdeenshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Aberdeenshire
Re: Any similarity to the Baildon Moor stone1?
11 messages
Select a forum:
The stone (and others) is located near Alford in Aberdeenshire. The site has so many potentially marked stones that I have lost count. It has the appearance of an ancient settlement platform on the edge of what would have been a glacial meltwater lake (evidence for fossil shorelines). Some archaeologists who have seen the stones and the location have suggested that they may either represent the remains of a cairn, or of a stone circle. In addition, there may also be remnants of early Christian cross fragments and grave stones, and there are the foundations of a rather intriguing building under my lawn (found by resistivity survey). Most of the stones were initially discovered on spoil heaps generated as my property was renovated, and they seem to have been incorporated into the present building which dates from 1820. I'm obviously recording everything as meticulously as I can as I go along.

Reply | with quote
Posted by jumble jim
10th March 2007ce
22:23

Messages in this topic: