The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Kirkclaugh Forum Start a topic | Search
Kirkclaugh
Re: Rock Art in walls
115 messages
Select a forum:
I'm sorry for the case of mistaken identity - I'll pull the pins out of that wax doll I made of you. There's a lot of small stuff at the Knar and it is worth a visit. There was a long cairn there that was entirely made of naturally cupmarked stones, but it's been ground up, and there is another place where natural cupmarked stones have been collected and perhaps arranged, but.

The big stuff is in the main South Tyne Valley but is mainly altered or flat in the ground. The place to start is Holymire and spotting the remains of the large circle from the railway line - it hasn't even been paced out yet. I was more than disappointed with the rock art survey at the Knar as there'd been protracted correspondence with the coordinator, over months, and I'd made a pretty good map of the fields with the stones marked. Onward, onward; my next plan is to get one of these fossilised hailstone rocks to that conference in Dublin and to see if they'll set up a 'make your own cupmark' table with a slab of damp modelling clay on. (The early pottery was made by coiling rolls of clay which could possibly feed back into the carved spirals somehow).

Reply | with quote
StoneLifter
Posted by StoneLifter
27th February 2007ce
13:09

In reply to:

Re: Rock Art in walls (Rockrich)

Messages in this topic: