The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Glendalough Forum Start a topic | Search
Glendalough
That's good news!
3 messages
Select a forum:
FourWinds wrote:
State Pays 1.7m for land near Glendalough

The Irish gov't has just spent 1.7m euro for 47 acres of land around Glendalough, which it will add to the Wicklow Mountains National Park. The land is in three areas and houses several megalithic and Bronze Age monuments; in particular the field where the Seven Fonts bullaun stone is situated.

Source: The Irish Times - January 2nd 2007

Was down there yesterday with a friend in the freezing weather and did some vague bullaun hunting. I wanted to see if I could find any more of the so-called sawmill bullauns. Nada! though I wasn't tryin too hard.
So they've bought more of the land. I suppose that means more protection for the treasures but the extension of the theme-park feel to the place (4 euros in to the upper lake car-park, widely ignored by most) may detract from the magic. I can't envisage what they'll do to the seven fonts field. I hope it's tasteful but I see fences and restrictions and hordes of vaguely interested tourists. Maybe not so good news after all…

Reply | with quote
ryaner
Posted by ryaner
2nd January 2007ce
13:47

2 replies:

Re: That's good news! (FourWinds)
Re: That's good news! (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: