The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Sea Henge Forum Start a topic | Search
Sea Henge
Re: Photographs of Seahenge
19 messages
Select a forum:
...i thought it was terrible the way it was ripped out of the sand...

Yes, the whole thing (removal) was handled very insensitively.

I just don't get it. I don't know why some in the 'academic' community can't get it through their thick heads that these places mean more than just historical/archaeological information. A little bit of compromise goes a long way. If the Seahenge archaeologists had brought in non-archaeological groups to offer a simple ceremony before the structure was removed it may have lessened some of the tension (perhaps they did and I missed it). You see the same thing on TV all the time; a freshly discovered skull prised form the soil without a modicum of ceremony. I remember visiting a dig outside Cirencester once with someone not from the Western tradition in archaeological excavation - she was horrified to see a half-excavated skeleton at the bottom of a rain-filled pit; first thing she did was collect some wild flowers and place them over the remains. A little more sensitivity please; these dug skeletons are not bits of coal, they are people who had lives and who laid down our history - not just grist for another primetime television show (or more facts to fill some archaeologist's latest publication).

Whether Seahenge should have been left to the sea or 'saved' is a different argument though.

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
12th December 2006ce
15:39

Messages in this topic: