The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Harold's Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Harold's Stones
The Pecket Stone
6 messages
Select a forum:
Has anybody heard of this stone in connection to Harold's Stones? There are a couple of references to a fourth stone that used to exist on common land until the 18th Century, but it's supposed to have been destroyed. Yet this reference on 'Legendary Dartmoor" speaks of it as though it still exists:

"Three other legends attached to the stones all concern Jack O' Kent who was a giant that lived on the Herefordshire/Monmouthshire borders. The first version tells how one day he was playing quoits on top of the Skirrid which resulted in him heaving four huge stones, three landed at Trellech and the fourth, known as the Pecket Stone landed near Lydart and still marks the parish boundary of Trellech."

Also, there's a reference made to this stone in a description of a local walk:

" Peckett Stone - New Mills - Whitebrook - Margaret Wood Nature Reserve - The Narth - Peckett Stone

On this walk we are on the Welsh side of the River Wye. Starting from the Pecket Stone, the walk follows the stream Whitebrook down nearly to river level, before climbing up through the village of Whitebrook as far as the Margaret Wood Nature Reserve. After climbing up through the reserve the walk continues through The Narth to return to the car park."

Does the pecket stone still exist? Is it the original fourth stone? I can't find any other significant reference to it on-line, nor does it appear on any on-line maps as far as I can see. I haven't got the OS map for that area, so I'm unable to check if it appears on there.

Reply | with quote
doktoratomik
Posted by doktoratomik
7th December 2006ce
11:03

3 replies:

Re: The Pecket Stone (treehugger-uk)
Re: The Pecket Stone (Mustard)
Re: The Pecket Stone (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: