The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Cumbria Rock Art?????
14 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Fitz,

I agree with you about the huge "cup" marks at the side of the road opposite Copt Howe. There are similar examples up on t'hills.
I was passing the Grasmere site today, so stopped for a look. Like your good self, I was struck by the similarity with Beckstones at Patterdale. I've not been to the Crummock site, but from the photos on TMA, that looks similar too. As I was leaving, I noticed another larger outcrop in the field, over the wall opposite the car park entrance. It's the one with the trees on top, grid reference NY 337 077. I didn't have time to start scratting about there today, but it might be worth checking out in the future. It looks as if a bit of turf will need removing. Other similar, flat-topped outcrops I've inspected in the past around Grasmere are in the vicinity of grid ref NY 331 071. As you say, there are propably lots more to be found.

Regards,
TE.

Reply | with quote
The Eternal
Posted by The Eternal
15th September 2006ce
17:05

In reply to:

Re: Cumbria Rock Art????? (fitzcoraldo)

1 reply:

Re: Cumbria Rock Art????? (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: