The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wales Forum Start a topic | Search
Wales
Re: elvis preseli sings the blues(tones)
26 messages
Select a forum:
tuesday wrote:
but any idea why?

I'm guessing you're asking about the stones, not my post crossing over.

:-)#

The connection between the Preselis and Stonehenge is based entirely on the plausible geological origins of the stones. There's nowhere else (in existence) where bluestones can be found. Of course, some people think the Stonehenge bluestones were transported to Salisbury Plain by a glacier.

I think that the reason that Carn Meini is singled out as a potential source for the Stonehenge bluestones is that the strata of the rock there really lends itself to quarrying. There are natural rocks up there that look like ready made standing stones. There's also a lot of great megalithic stuff in the area, and a lot of it is within the immediate area around Carn Meini.

I guess we should be a bit cautious about the connection between the two sites, but I'd thoroughly recommend visiting Carn Meini. It's a great place to visit, with excellent views and a real sense of elevated isolation.

K x

Reply | with quote
Kammer
Posted by Kammer
15th September 2006ce
07:32

Messages in this topic: