The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Boles Barrow Forum Start a topic | Search
Boles Barrow
Re: Boles Barrow bluestone
18 messages
Select a forum:
Woodhenge has now revealed 4 pieces of Bluestone (as of saturday) and the Cursus test pits 7.
There is a scattering of bluestones on the Avenue just outside Stonehenge and Stukeley and John Gale reported seeing stone holes on each side of the avenue there.
There are plans to dig at the avenue in the coming years as the Stonehenge Riverside project has another 7 years to run.
There is a write up on the Boles barrow bluestone in WANHS magazine but I can't recall the vol off hand.
Boles barrow is difficult to access as it is on Army land.
There is a chance fpr a nosey around when they allow the ex villagers of Imber onto the plain each year to tend graves in the churchyard.
Terence Meaden's family hail from Imber so I will see if I can get to go along on this years open day and stop off at the Barrow for a look around.
The Boles bluestone looks worked so I will search for fragments to see if it was worked insitu.
PeteG

Reply | with quote
Pete G
Posted by Pete G
10th September 2006ce
17:36

In reply to:

Re: Boles Barrow bluestone (Rhiannon)

1 reply:

Re: Boles Barrow bluestone (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: