The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Cumbrian hints please
20 messages
Select a forum:
It's been a year since I did an 'off in red van on-me-own on a three day circle hunt. . ' type thing. So I'm off again next week.
This time I'm targeting S/W Cumbria, somewhere I've never been ever. .

I've seen Castlerigg and been to Long Meg several times on journeys North, but the whole of S/W Cumbria is unexplored ground to me. I plan to stop 3 nights in a b&b type pub, haven't decided where yet. Here's my tick-list. Seven Circles.

Greycroft - the one by Selafield.
Blakely Raise
Sunenkirk
Druid's Castle
Burn Moore
Swinside
Lakra (Burl says these are 'for the true enthusiast').

Plus two 'possibles'

Gamelands
Hird Wood

I think some of these are a bit of a walk, so I'm not going to put too many of my wish list. But perhaps I could add some?
Have I missed out any 'must see' sites from that part of the country? I'll check the map browser and I've got John Waterhouse's 'Stone Circles Of Cumbria' and the usual Burl refrence books, but I always enjoy getting the 'hands on' on this forum. I took shitloads of TMA printouts with me to Aberdeenshire last June and they helped no end.

What's Ravenglass like? All the sites I want to see are in a fifteen mile radius of Ravenglass. I could stop there.
Are there any other nice coastal towns on that side of the country, where would you stop if you were seeing the above circles? B&B-wise. Me and camping don't get on!

Bet it's great there.

Reply | with quote
suave harv
Posted by suave harv
27th June 2006ce
20:31

Messages in this topic: