The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Callanish Forum Start a topic | Search
Callanish
Re: Callanish for the terminally stupid
36 messages
Select a forum:
Hello Rhianon,

I think your analysis is quite good. It is more or less unique, every 18.61 years the moon will have a very low (or high) path in the sky (this is due to its movements around the earth: lunar nodal cycle).
In the period 2005/2006/2007 this is thus happening. The lowest path of a full moon happened on June 11/12 (anywhere in the world, so also at your plave). There are many other dates that this more or less happens (but nor with such a full moon). I myself don't value the full moon that much, so I will be more thrilled when the moon reached the real lowest path in this 18.61 years period (that is perhaps visible in september 29, depending on the wetaher).

Why Calanais I; that is because some people think that this could have been a ceremonial place where they celebrated this event every 19 years.
This is a quote in Diodorus of Siculus (first century BCE) who might have refered to Calanais (although some other think it is Stonehenge or Newgrange):
"... They also say that the moon, as viewed from this island, appears to be but a little distance from the earth and to have upon it prominences, like those of the earth, which are visible to the eye. The account is also given that the god visits the island every nineteen years, the period in which the return of the stars to the same place in the heavens is accomplished; and for this reason the nineteen-year period is called by the Greeks the year of Meton. ..."

You can also be just thrilled to see such a high or low moon. There are many reason why people get thrilled;-)

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Victor

Reply | with quote
geniet
Posted by geniet
21st June 2006ce
16:13

Messages in this topic: