The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: The bluestone debate
390 messages
Select a forum:
mountainman wrote:
I'm not criticising you, Nigel, or attacking you for circular reasoning. I'm trying to represent the orthodoxy that we find in all those learned tomes and in virtually everything published by EH about Stonehenge. In the standard guides the human transport theory is cited as FACT, on the basis of exactly the style of circular reasoning that I have mentioned.

All I'm asking for, from the likes of our dear friends Profs W and D, is a bit more recognition of UNCERTAINTY.

There is nothing like the same degree of uncertainty with regard to the glacial theory. At least once in the Ice Age, the Irish Sea Glacier flowed across West Wales and up the Bristol Channel. Fact. The ice reached some way inland in the Bristol area, Avon, Somerset, Devon and Cornwall. Fact. How far inland? Still uncertain. There are at least 20 different rock types in the bluestone assemblage. Fact. Erratic trails or fans are similarly mixed. Fact. Some of the bluestones at Stonehenge were made of soft ashes and flaky rhyolites -- crap stones for building monuments out of. Fact. Spotted dolerites are never used preferentially in Welsh megalithic structures. Fact. The ice streamlines and the rock types at Stonehenge match up. Fact. The builders of UK megalithic monuments always used stone that was locally available. Fact. Logically, the builders of Stonehenge would have done the same. Is there a problem with any of that?

Eh ? I'm not Nigel and didn't have any circular reasoning .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
14th December 2008ce
14:42

In reply to:

Re: The bluestone debate (mountainman)

1 reply:

Re: The bluestone debate (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: