The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: The bluestone debate
390 messages
Select a forum:
As I recall Julian's paper a consideration of the mechanics of transport was very much secondary and a bit of a "filler" as the main project was erection. I wasn't convinced by his musings about a formal track being built - it strikes me the labour cost would be massive, equivalent to building a 21 mile wooden road from Avebury all the way to Salisbury Plain and if there was any viable alternative they'd have gone for it.

Foamhenge strengthened this feeling. It revealed you just don't need a track or rollers to shift stones. I also think the "steering problem" is overplayed - and in fact it's actually created by the use of a track or rollers. In the absence of those, going off-line isn't a crucial issue and you can re-adjust the alignment periodically using levers or by the even more blindingly simple expedient of simply carrying on pulling but slightly to one side.

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
19th November 2008ce
21:29

In reply to:

Re: The bluestone debate (Steve Gray)

1 reply:

Re: The bluestone debate (GordonP)

Messages in this topic: