The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Draught Animals
390 messages
Select a forum:
Steve Gray wrote:
tonyh wrote:
Sorry, but you fail to understand pulling power..

That's a rather harsh disparagement to a physicist.

Surely, the whole point of a yolking bar is to keep the animals (and load) "locked" together as a team. It's role in distributing forces is incidental.

It was stated (in some previous thread a long time ago) that oxen could not easily be controlled as a team. If you refer back to my previous posting you will see that my proposition was phrased as a question. I was querying whether (if that assertion be true) they might be utilised as a collection of individual pairs rather than as a team.

I understand that the pulling rates are different. Nevertheless each pair would produce a force on their individual rope and those forces would be cummulative at the load, whether or not they are attached to a central bar.

50 teams of Oxen, all with different lengths of rope. all walking at a different speed... The 'push pull' effect on the animals would be dreadful.

Have you ever been towed? or towed something?

Tony

Reply | with quote
Posted by tonyh
19th November 2008ce
09:12

In reply to:

Re: Draught Animals (Steve Gray)

1 reply:

Re: Draught Animals (Steve Gray)

Messages in this topic: