The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Devon Forum Start a topic | Search
Devon
When is a standing stone not a...
25 messages
Select a forum:
I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this for me (and hopefully others - please tell me I'm not alone here!)

We spent the day on Dartmoor last Sunday (Drizzlecombe, to be precise) and as we were wandering around, we noticed that, among the scattered rocks/boulders/stones, one could pick out any number of unmarked hut circles/cairn circles/stone circles/megaliths/and so on...

What I'm saying, is that there are, in certain parts of the UK, a huge amount of seemingly random scatterings of great big rocks that could EASILY have been placed there by human intervention, but are not marked anywhere. Stones standing upright, for example, seem to catch the eye.

And in the case of large amounts of rocks strewn about the place, it's easy to let the imagination lead you to believe that there are regular shapes among them.

Is there an easy way for the likes of me to make a distinction between a stone that is naturally in an upright position, and one that has been placed there? Without the use of any gadgetry or a trowel, naturally...

Cheers!
G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
7th April 2006ce
07:51

Messages in this topic: