The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Weddings at Stanton Drew Forum Start a topic | Search
The Weddings at Stanton Drew
Re: Some grooved ware
23 messages
Select a forum:
Thanks Baza.

"The patterns in the photos look like... patterns I guess. Jo-anne's look like a form of writing.

Jo-anne - Have you linearised the patterns in some way?"

Hi Kammer,
Intriguing isn't it :-)

The motives are from a book that got shown to me when I was in the UK, I have photocopies here of a few pages. I thought the tittle was on top of the page, but it could be the chapter, I'll ask for the writer and tittle and will post it when I know.
"The speaking stones - People, policy, and philosophy - page 252, 253"

Quote:
"The design on the three-spiked object from Skara Brae (figure 76A). It's purpose is unknown, but the design is very clear, consisting of two areas of cross-hatching with an area of triangles and lozenges inbetween. It can be deciphered as 'cross-arding, fields, fields, streaming rain, cross-arding"
----------------
I haven't seen any photo's of these, but assume with the discription given it is a linear motive, and a scaled copy of an original sized transfer (writer is a archaeologist I think)?

There are some interesting thoughts about writing on the pages, I don't know if his translation of the motives are correct, but he is discibing a wider, broader dimension, ... rain, fields etc.

It's jolly frustrating stuff, to 'reason' the stones, one has to do it with the help of the grid, can't view without.
The motive seems to be 'doing' the same as the stones on the grid, it becomes so much more 'to reason'.
And what it could represent? I have no idea, ... symmetrical/asymmetrical patterns, numbers, geometrics, dimensions, perfection, seem to be the main ingredience?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Jo-anne
5th March 2006ce
15:57

In reply to:

Re: Some grooved ware (Kammer)

1 reply:

Re: Some grooved ware (baza)

Messages in this topic: