The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   High Bridestones Forum Start a topic | Search
High Bridestones
Re: Medium Format..
59 messages
Select a forum:
"For that matter no photograph developed without tweaks will give you something that is there in nature."

You can get lucky if you have the right eqp't tho.

Taking pictures of rocks for instance, sometimes with the correct light I can capture the exact texture and colour (to the average eye) of the rock in front of me, straight from the RAW file.

Example:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/25337

Without a grad filter you can see the sky is overexposed as I exposed correctly for the rock and lichen but the strong light in the sky makes it physically (as always) impossible at that angle to expose for both at once.

The rock/vegetation colours are spot-on straight from the camera, I was lucky is all.

One *could* bring the sky detail back in with some levels work (witchcraft) or even better, a double exposure overlay taken at the same time. Of course that would upset the trolls so we are left with 'no sky' but at least it is 'true' (read false).

Seriously speaking, I think one can capture elements of what is there (visually) in nature within a frame, but in order to calculate the exposure correctly for a whole field of vision, you need to use extra tools either pre-click or post click. No matter what PeterH says, you cannot get around a distorting wide-angle or an overexposed midday sky or backlight without using extra tools otherwise the result looks nothing like the original view.

This topic is locked
morfe
Posted by morfe
4th March 2006ce
17:09

In reply to:

Re: Medium Format.. (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: