The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Popping Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
Popping Stone
Re: Is this really a standing stone?
71 messages
Select a forum:
No, I've got a passage grave, or something similar (it's listed as a long barrow) to open. I guess if I spend this summer looking at how the chamber and passageway are closed I could suggest a way of opening it that would stand up to scrutiny, for years to come, and not leave untidy piles of rock scattered about, perhaps for the year after that.

Have a look on the portal at Jack Eyton Morris's descriptions of the stone circles in Cumbria and the calendrical events. Though he doesn't describe Rock Art we assume that Rock Art is roughly contemporary with the Great Circles and so 'made by the same people'. Insight into one will lead to insight into the other (we hope !). The man's study of the shadows cast by the stones is a novel approach and a neglected topic for research.

Reply | with quote
StoneLifter
Posted by StoneLifter
2nd March 2006ce
15:46

In reply to:

Re: Is this really a standing stone? (wolfnighthunter)

Messages in this topic: