The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: The Shop
17 messages
Select a forum:
"Every site is different and probably requires a different approach"

I agree. And perhaps the approach should also reflect the times. At this time, and for the foreseeable future, when we're overdue an economic downturn, I think Achievable Stonehenge should have great regard to financial moderation (without allowing Stonehenge to suffer, obviously).

As Mrs T.'s greatest adversary, I do nevertheless wonder whether a big element of private enterprise (subject to regulation and a decent rent) might not deliver many of the best services - extending for instance to parking, retail, food, security and transport to the stones.

To grant planning permission is to create a very valuable asset out of nothing. To get a piece of that asset, private firms might be persuaded to pay a premium in exchange for a lease to run their food or retail operation - in other words, private enterprise would pay not only to construct their own food outlet but would also provide the money for building the interpretation centre.

I feel the further away from £60 million and the closer to zero the scheme can get, the more attractive and achievable Achievable Stonehenge will appear.

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
12th February 2006ce
08:49

In reply to:

Re: The Shop (Littlestone)

1 reply:

Re: The Shop (VenerableBottyBurp)

Messages in this topic: