The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ritual
234 messages
Select a forum:
So I'm a "pedant" now simply because I have taken the trouble to try to understand what you mean when using a word that I do not use.

You misunderstand me when you say that my concern with the sacred is about "being above criticism".

Perhaps I can make my view clear now - not that it is of the slightest importance to you, Paulus or anyone else.

I can say that the most important and precious thing in my life is the life of my child.

I cannot say that the life of my child is sacred.

I could only say that the life of my child is sacred if I were to dedicate or appropriate it to a God of a religion that I believed in.

If you separate the word "sacred" from religion then you are mis-using it. Ditto "numinous" . That is up to you, but it doesn't take a pedant to say that if you are careless about the meanings of words, no one will understand you.

Reply | with quote
PeterH
Posted by PeterH
13th January 2006ce
22:01

In reply to:

Re: Ritual (gyrus)

2 replies:

Re: Ritual (morfe)
Re: Ritual (gyrus)

Messages in this topic: