The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Real Deal
234 messages
Select a forum:
There is an element of truth to what Peter says, but it's not wholesale. The quality of things left at some wells is deteriorating. Occasionally I come across a very good Rosary, but more often it's a cheap key ring fob with a bad picture of The Madonna on it. I have seen old pictures of wells with stacks of crutches and walking sticks piled up next to them! I know a couple where there are still a few walking sticks, but that sort of healing seems to be a thing of the past :-(

I do get a tear in my eye when I see lots of dummies hanging from trees.

Ribbons and bits of cloth are very old offerings. The norm was to leave a piece of material from the piece of clothing next to the ailment to be cured in the belief that the piece of cloth left at the holy well maintained a link to the rest of the garment it came from and so permanently blessed you when you wore it and the problem was slowly cured.

Despite the relative 'tat' that is often left behind these days I don't think that this should be seen as a drop in faith, though. It's just people's values have changed.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
13th January 2006ce
07:18

In reply to:

Real Deal (morfe)

2 replies:

Re: Real Deal (morfe)
Re: Real Deal (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: