The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ritual
234 messages
Select a forum:
"I think ethnological studies of none western (capitalist) societies are possibly our best chance at trying to understand Britain 5000 years ago."

I completely 100 percent agree, Fitz-o. In fact have been trying to make this point for ages, but the silence is monolithic! We have to our hands extensive studies of tribal peoples from all over the world, from the Tunguska to Irian Jaya. Their animist and arguably pantheistic world-view is born directly from being part of the 'wild' in the wildeerness. Where agriculture begins, the separation begins, yet even then it seems to take thousands of years to forego the rituals, they become customs.

Back on point, stone age tribes do exist today, even though contact with westerners changes them irrevocably, the data is there to study.

The trip-up is that no (to my knowledge) existing 'primitive' societies build stone circles. Given this, even, we could surely learn enough via behavioural traits of historic and exisiting agrarian and/or hunter-gatherer communities to make more educated guesses regarding our ancestors? Better than time-team anyhow ;-)

Reply | with quote
morfe
Posted by morfe
9th January 2006ce
11:54

In reply to:

Ritual (fitzcoraldo)

1 reply:

Re: Ritual (PeterH)

Messages in this topic: