The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Oxfordshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Oxfordshire
Monoliths in Oxfordshire
29 messages
Select a forum:
Bonjour - further to my posting yesterday can anyone elaborate on the following?

After writing yesterday, I did some more digging. Has anyone heard of Christine Bloxham? She has written a book called Oxfordshire folklore which covers megaliths in the county.

The stone I was thinking of isn't the King Stone at the Rollright site (although I'll look into that - thanks to Rhiannon & Treacle Chops), but the Hoar Stone at Enstone. Known as 'Old Soldier', It is said to drink from the Evenlode every midsummer's eve, or when it hears the mythical 'Lidstone Clock' strike midnight. If it's moved it will return of its own accord.

Other stones mentioned include a monolith at Lynham, near Shipston-u-Wychwood, who chased villagers on their way to Chipping Norton one Midsummer's eve, the Hoar Stone near Hopcroft's Holt, Thor's stone at Taston and Jacob's Stone at Otmoor. These stones are rumoured to be situated on ley lines. I don't know which, if any are prehistoric.

Has anyone come across or heard of these stones on their travels? I obviously need to get out more because they're on my doorstep and I haven't. Also, do you know any other theories about stone sites on ley lines I'd love to hear them. I'm going to get out over christmas with a camera and see if I can find them. Many thanks, Jacksprat.

Reply | with quote
jacksprat
Posted by jacksprat
22nd December 2005ce
09:34

Messages in this topic: