The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   North Yorkshire Forum Start a topic | Search
North Yorkshire
Re: New Rock Art Book!
41 messages
Select a forum:
It seems a very promising area up there. I'd be amazed if we didn't come across yet more material in that region.

Have you actually been to the Stoney Raise cairn? Didn't manage to get there the day Richard took us up, but I wanna go back and look at a couple of other spots in the landscape which may relate to the legends there. I've an idea (only an idea mind, we've gotta see it firsthand for it to be real) about the legend of of the crock o' gold attached to that place. Seems there's a place not far away from where you can watch the sun set and its very close to being a solstice line. Bright sun - gold legend - underground myth. It seems it might (just might, that is) be a winter solstice tale, but we'll have to wait 'n' see.

And howzabout that there Burton Moor settlement nearby? Where the hell's the cemetery? I'm sure Rich must've mentioned it t'other day. Huge settlement on a huge hill - but no burials it seems. That entire region needs scanning.

Reply | with quote
Paulus
Posted by Paulus
20th December 2005ce
01:11

In reply to:

Re: New Rock Art Book! (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: