The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Rollright Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
The Rollright Stones
Does the circle have its own special hill?
1 message
Select a forum:
Well according to Paul Devereux it does - The Sacred Space. Its Brailes Hill, 8 kilometres north of the circle. Brailes Hill is unobtrusive - a long gentle mound of a hill but it does have a neolithic longbarrow on top, crowned with trees, similar to East Kennet longbarrow. To quote
"The Kings men stone circle is placed on a ridge running e/w, or more exactly, the circle is situated just very slightly south of the crest of the ridge. This placing is remarkable, for Brailes Hill is quite easily visible from the northern side of the circle, but just exactly so from the southern (and original entrance) side of the circle"
Apparently it is difficult to check now because of the road and hedges that run alongside (ancient ridgeway) but possible in winter, should anyone be visiting....
relationships of hills to circles, barrows and stones I suppose come under landscape, but as we have two hills round Bath, Little Solsbury and Kelston, that to my mind are special, it would be interesting to see what turns up elsewhere. Probably not mentioned this before, but on a clear day from the Lansdown I can see back to Cherhill Down (Avebury) and it never ceases to amaze me that I share the same mind/visual landscape that neolithic people had.. can't qualify that except to say that it has great drawing back presence, so if a stone circle centres itself doesnt a hill do the same..

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
1st October 2005ce
18:59