The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wales Forum Start a topic | Search
Wales
Arrow Stones
21 messages
Select a forum:
It's very quiet in here.

What does anybody know about 'Arrow Stones'? On Coflein they are listed as 'natural rock features' but they are supposed to have man-made stripes on them from sharpening arrows. I see there is a picture of one on the 'portal but without another photo of a different stone it's difficult to say what you're looking at.

Marie Trevelyan says in her 1909 book:
"Not far from Aber, and about 2 1/2 miles from Llanfairfechan, in one of the wildest and most lonely valleys in North Wales, is the celebrated Arrow Stone, upon which the chieftains of old sharpened their battle axes and other implements of war. Labourers going home from field work and people living near the valley declared that if ever the sound of any instrument being sharpened on the stone reached them, it was an omen of bad luck to the hearer, and foretokened an epidemic in the country, or some disaster in Wales."

Surely the marks must be quite obvious if such serious omens are pinned on them.

Could they be 'recent'? or are they prehistoric?? I can't find anything about them by surfing the internet.
There's five I could spot in the vicinity mentioned by Trevelyan:
SH692723
SH680720
SH692709
SH693722
SH695731
Any ideas? or has anyone seen one? Are they convincing arrow-sharpening marks?
(welsh for arrow is saeth (-au)

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
22nd September 2005ce
13:35

4 replies:

Re: Arrow Stones (tiompan)
Re: Arrow Stones (BigSweetie)
Re: Arrow Stones (FourWinds)
Re: Arrow Stones (PeterH)

Messages in this topic: