The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Shetland Isles Forum Start a topic | Search
The Shetland Isles
TV last night
27 messages
Select a forum:
Did anyone see the prog about the brochs? Can't remember the channel now. Not a bad prog.

I was trying to find some info on the huge excavation of the broch they showed and couldn't find anything. Does anyone have some info? I did come across this though: http://www.travelscotland.co.uk/guide/orkney/shetland_south.htm

"... The original Stone-Age dwellings are topped by a <i>medieval broch</i> [my italics], Pictish wheelhouses, Viking longhouses and, towering over the whole complex, the ruins of a 16th-century mansion. ..."

Medieval !? I know that the C14 dates they got from the bottom of the broch were surprisingly early (400-600bce), but did anyone ever think they were that late in construction? Is this another case of not crediting the 'natives' with such fine construction?

I loved the look of the excavated site: a broch with surrounding wheelhouses. Looks like TC Lethbridge was right - the brochs were built by the same people as the wheelhouses.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
12th August 2005ce
07:38

6 replies:

Re: TV last night (goffik)
Re: TV last night (wideford)
Re: TV last night (PeterH)
Re: TV last night (greywether)
Re: TV last night (Moth)
Re: TV last night (StoneLifter)