|During the stonerowing experiment I got talking to a farmer from Bodmin who told me that he regularly moves 6 to 8 ton stones out of fields with great ease using only 4 people.|
The secret was Shite. Cow/Sheep/Goat anyones.
He said they create a rope harness around the stone and tether individual ropes for each person to pull on, preferably made out of cowhide as these type of ropes are easier to wind around the hands and get a better grip than several people holding onto one big rope.
They then lay a trail of shite and piss and turn the ground to a slurry and the stone is then very easy to drag.
I'd never thought of that before and I will be going to see this in action soon.
Add a couple of Uoroks and/or steers and some blokes with levers for rough terrain and I can see that big stones could be moved quite quickly over a great distance.
Reply | with quote
|Posted by Ishmael|
29th June 2005ce
snowhenge (follow that cow, Jun 28, 2005, 21:39)
- Re: snowhenge (FourWinds, Jun 28, 2005, 22:01)
- Re: snowhenge (Moth, Jun 28, 2005, 22:12)
- Re: snowhenge (fitzcoraldo, Jun 28, 2005, 22:42)
- Shite (Ishmael, Jun 29, 2005, 00:19)
- Re: snowhenge (baza, Jun 29, 2005, 00:35)
- Re: snowhenge (Pilgrim, Jun 29, 2005, 10:33)
- Re: snowhenge (tiompan, Jun 29, 2005, 23:01)