The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Alton Priors Forum Start a topic | Search
Alton Priors
Re: Circles under churches
272 messages
Select a forum:
>The neighbouring (and older) church at Alton Barnes has massive sarsen stones forming its quoins - they are enormous and totally megalithic in character.<

Sorry to disagree with you Peter but the quoins at Alton Barnes appear to me to be of a soft sandstone and not of the much harder sarsen found in the area (I'm not an expert in this and am happy to be proved wrong). Neither am I sure that the church at Alton Barnes is actually older than the church at Alton Priors; the former is the smaller of the two but I need to check out their dates more carefully (perhaps also of interest is that the yew tree at Alton Barnes is considerably smaller than the yew at Alton Priors).

What did strike me while there over the weekend was the beautiful cobbled pathway that leads across the fields between the two churches. There are literally thousands and thousands of dressed stones making up the pathway - a real labour of love; I wonder when they were laid down but not that they appear to lead <i>from</i> Alton Barnes to Alton Priors.

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
23rd May 2005ce
23:37

In reply to:

Re: Circles under churches (PeterH)

1 reply:

Re: Circles under churches (juamei)

Messages in this topic: