The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wychbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Wychbury Hill
Re: A, here goes
14 messages
Select a forum:
Sounds magical. My impression is that there seems to be some kind of jigsaw puzzle of different influences in this neighbourhood, which although they are not directly connected in any cultural scientific or historical way --- actually impact on each other and magnify the generalized strangeness, and so (this will sound corny!) they ARE actually "connected" in a way we don't /can't understand rationally. Thats why I've conflated all the Kenelm/Wychbury/Bella stuff (and written me song!) in the weblog. The other factor, is water. These places used to be meres (and still are) that filled in along what was a prehistoric lake. I think Wychbury may have been such an important fort, because the approachways would have been boggy and impassable at some points. There are millions of gallons of underground water, so much that Mr. Palethorpe at Broome has built a new lake from a bore hole. I think the place was sacred, in a regional sense, and that water spirits and the like were venerated here. I conjecture, that the English adopted the lore of the conquered people, and made it into a tale of the killing of a King, and that this became a Christianised version of much more ancient practices. I wonder about this Saxon palace; could it be Axborough, Ismere, Churchill/Blakedown? The monks that moved to what is now the town of Stourbridge moved from nearby there anyway...

Reply | with quote
Posted by Forrester
15th April 2005ce
15:20

In reply to:

A, here goes (morfe)

1 reply:

Re: A, here goes (wychburyman)

Messages in this topic: