The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Maeshowe Forum Start a topic | Search
Maeshowe
Maes Howe
6 messages
Select a forum:
Well with charlie going of to thurso/orkney it reminded me of my trip to orkney in 1981 when i was about 12. We visited all the delightful sites but what struck me most was the fact that Maes howe was called a burial chamber, the guide said no bodies had been found although it had been raided by vikings who had sealed it up with a big stone.
5 Years later when i studied archaeology in glasgow i wrote an essay about this suggesting maes howe was in fact a winter house as you could get quite a nice fire going in there and be well protected from the fierce northern weather. I used the analogy of maison in french to try and back up my idea. ( I did actualy pass the essay!!)
Anyway as i was walking along in sunny aberystwyth the other day i noticed that a lot of places ( blocks of flats/houses) started their name with maes so that got me wondering again. I haven't checked up the welsh meaning of maes yet . I am curious if any of you have any evidence that maes howe definately was a burial chamber i.e bodies etc to smash my idea or other wise
cheers
love
caroline xxx

Reply | with quote
Posted by caergog
29th July 2001ce
18:01

1 reply:

Re: Maes Howe (Walkswithdust)

Messages in this topic: