The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Ridgeway Forum Start a topic | Search
The Ridgeway
Information sought on apparent field patterns
14 messages
Select a forum:
Hi,
I was just researching around my latest visit to Silbury and the southern end of the Ridgeway at Overton Hill on Saturday last, when I came across this interesting view on www.multimap.com (and here I hope the link works!)
http://www.multimap.com/map/ph[...]=10000&up.x=188&up.y=5

I presume (and forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong) that these are field patterns (interestingly shaped though, what?), and I am throwing myself upon the benighted assemblage in the hope that someone (or someseveral) can elucidate further. I know that
Peter Fowler has recorded a history of this part of the region in his "Landscape Plotted and Pieced: Landscape History and Local Archaeology in Fyfield and Overton, Wiltshire (Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London)" but its priced beyond my current means. If anyone can throw some light upon the dim beacon of my understanding, I would appreciate it.

Peace to you all

Pilgrim

X

Reply | with quote
Pilgrim
Posted by Pilgrim
9th March 2005ce
19:56

Messages in this topic: