The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Fylingdales Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
The Fylingdales Stone
Re: Fire reveals moor's stone legacy
216 messages
Select a forum:
As one of the people who's actually seen the stone, I have to disagree with archaeopix's assessment. The stone, to my eyes (and hands) is in pretty good condition, there's no fire-damage I could see. When the fire was actually going, only the very uppermost portion of the stone was exposed, and as it was part of a rubble barrow, there wasn't much on it to burn. One or two of the cup & ring stones on the moor have suffered some fire flaking, but not "the big one". There are pecked rock art panels on other parts of the moor, and they haven't deteriorated too badly, so personally I can't see why they can't leave it uncovered. Another option would be to put a turf mat over the top like they have on the "aeroplane" and the "elusive P" stones to keep the worst of the elements off the carving. I'd certainly be a lot happier with it visible

As for the comments about this getting stolen, it weighs at least a ton if not more and it's on a very exposed bit of moor - anyone attempting to remove it is going to need some pretty hefty kit, and it would be noticed. You'd be surprised at how little you can get away with around there without the locals spotting you!

Dating-wise, I suspect it's earlier than the barrow it's built into by a fair bit. The nearest parallel to the art on the stone in the area would be the Folkton drums, which are reckoned Neolithic, but the barrows are middle Bronze Age if I remember right.

Anyway ,I'll try and get round to putting my pictures up this weekend for you all - merry Christmas!

Cheers,
WW

Reply | with quote
Posted by Winterwolf
24th December 2004ce
09:28

In reply to:

Re: Fire reveals moor's stone legacy (smallblueplanet)

1 reply:

Curiouser & curiouser.... (Winterwolf)

Messages in this topic: