The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Fylingdales Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
The Fylingdales Stone
Re: Your not worthy
216 messages
Select a forum:
Well I see you've given your view now - that you want a replica on the moor and the real thing in a museum. Well I want the real thing on the moor and the replica in the museum (assuming the real thing isn't being eroded any faster than any other bit of rock art out there). This is because I believe the setting of the rock art to be integral to its value. I believe (perhaps eroneously) that the setting is inherently related to the carvings - to do with why they were created in the first place. I think that to remove the rock from its original setting removes something irreplaceable, and that to visit the rock in its original setting is vastly more rewarding (from a personal and from an archaeological fact-gathering aspect). Archaeology isn't = or shouldn't just be about collecting 'artifacts' and labelling them and popping them on a shelf. That's what the antiquarian barrow diggers did - they didn't care about all the earth they were shovelling up, they didn't care about the landscape round the site or why the creators of it might have sited it there and not somewhere else. They were just interested in finding a nice bit of gold or a shiny axehead - when you read contemporary accounts you can hear their disappointment when they (or their minions rather) spend all day digging and just find a grotty bit of bone or a shard of pottery. Why do we need to take this stone into a museum if (and ok,I mean if) it is perfectly happy out on the moor? Surely the Public will be happy to see a replica in a museum if they know the Real Thing is out there safe (from thieves and the weather) where it was found and has been for thousands of years.

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
23rd December 2004ce
16:11

In reply to:

Re: Your not worthy (smallblueplanet)

1 reply:

Re: Your not worthy (smallblueplanet)

Messages in this topic: