The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Fylingdales Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
The Fylingdales Stone
Re: They've done WHAT ???!!
216 messages
Select a forum:
Well, I've heard the pros and cons about reburying, and am sure both are appropriate in different cases, but I'm left with the feeling that in this particular case the con case is the one for me.

What really does it for me is how would an outsider view it - say a Martian: "So you've found this important relic of you're culture and you're hiding it, but then once every couple of hundred years you'll allow one of your professors to dig it up and apply his latest analytical tools to it, so in the next millenium just 5 human beings will have laid eyes on it? Hmmm.. And was this the decision of you all?"

In truth, it's the decision making process that bugs me most. I'm sure those in charge know more than me, but they don't own the thing more than me or have more educated gut feelings than me. Would a little bit of public debate been so damaging to the stone?

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
22nd December 2004ce
06:44

In reply to:

They've done WHAT ???!! (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: