The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Fylingdales Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
The Fylingdales Stone
Re: They've done WHAT ???!!
216 messages
Select a forum:
Sure we could dig up every single panel of rock art and put them in museums but rock art is not just about the carvings themselves, it is also about the landscape and the setting - context.
Surely archaeology has moved away from artifact obsession
Would you sanction the excavation and removal of a standing stone to be exhibited in a museum? Long Meg has some lovely carving, why not rip her out of the ground, I'm sure all those thousands of hands that touch her spirals every year can't be doing her any good?
There are over 10,000 burial monuments on the North York Moors, most have been dug and most of the artifacts now languishing in non-North Yorkshire museums, many unlabelled with their context lost.
I take it you'd be happy to travel to Whitby or Scarbrough museum to visit this stone or would you prefer to have it somewhere closer to where you live? Why don't you come up here and check out the beautiful stones they already have in their collections, better still get yourself out onto the moors and see rock art in situ, I'll happily be your guide and I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
Why do you need to have the actual rock in a museum, what is wrong with an accurate copy?
This stone has survived 3 or 4 millennia in the lovely moorland peat and this is not the first fire to effect the moor.

Reply | with quote
fitzcoraldo
Posted by fitzcoraldo
21st December 2004ce
22:09

In reply to:

Re: They've done WHAT ???!! (smallblueplanet)

2 replies:

Re: They've done WHAT ???!! (Littlestone)
Re: They've done WHAT ???!! (smallblueplanet)

Messages in this topic: